Sunday, August 17, 2008

Track Your Comments

The moment you leave a comment on a blog post, you are actually engaging in a multi-way conversation. That conversation spans days with different people from different time zones having different views. The blog needs to be revisited again and again to keep up with the flow of ideas. So how do you keep track of these conversations? Some blog engines like blogger.com and some wordpress implementations give you the option to be notified by email of any changes happen after you leave a comment. This is a nifty trick but it is not used by all blog engines.

The solution I use is called Commentful from Blog Flux. It is a web service that keeps track of changes and updates on any blog post you ask it to monitor. You add a blog post to a watch list, and the system visits it every ten minutes to check if new comments are added. If a blog post is not updated for a month or so, it gets moved to an archive page so only the active ones are shown.

What about you? How do you keep track of comments on blogs you visit?


2 comments:

Kk said...

Nice blog!
I normally use my email -- this seems nice way to avoid over-flooding my inbox

BuZain said...

Thanks for the visit bobby. I also use it to avoid cluttering my email, although gmail labels and filtering are doing wonders for me.